"Please introduce yourself and give your reasons why you choose that course.." ask the interviewers.
Saya tidak ingat apa jawapan yang saya bagi, tapi apa yang pasti saya betul-betul nekad untuk pilih kos diet pada malamnya. Namun, saya betul-betul buntu adakah pilihan saya adalah yang terbaik. Kepada mak dan ayah, saya mohon mereka doakan kelancaran tutur kata saya pada hari ni. Alhamdulillah lebih kurang 15 minit interview selesai.
"Belajar kat mana sekarang? Ambik kos ape kat sana?" soalan2 favourite yang selalu ditanya. Tak kira la kawan ayah, kawan mak, saudara mara, jiran-jiran hatta rakan-rakan sepersekolahan pun.
"Kat UIA, ambik kos dietetik," jawapan ringkas.
"Ha, ape die? Kos ape tu?" Pulak. Apa jawapan yang sesuai yang saya nak jawap nih. Macam pelik sangat kos ni.Buntu.
Hmm. Itu adalah perbualan biasa yang saya dan kawan-kawan alami. Bidang Dietetik merupakan salah satu cabang dalam bidang Sains Kesihatan Bersekutu yang agak baru di Malaysia kalau nak dibandingkan dengan doktor, jururawat, doktor gigi dan bidang-bidang yang lain.
"Anak Cikgu S tu pun ambik bidang pemakanan juga, katanya food technology tapi tak pulak praktikal kat hospital," kata mak.
Hmm, apa jawapan yang terbaik nak bagitahu mak ni. "Tu lain mak, kos tu lebih kepada teknologi makanan. Macam mana nak hasilkan makanan baru, ubah suai yang sedia ada. Kan kita selalu tengok, banyak je produk2 baru kat kedai. Food technologist la yang reka. Selalunya diorang kat bahagian industri, kos angah ni kat hospital."
"The scientific study of food preparation and intake" (Web definition)
"The study and regulation of the diet" (Hyperdictionary definition)
"The science or study and regulation of the diet" (Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary, 30th ed.)
These definitions are woefully inadequate for what dietetics has grown to become. The basis of dietetics is the firm belief that optimal nutrition is essential for the health and well being of every person. This is why is an integral component of the healthcare field.
According to Malaysian Dietetic Association (MDA), dietitian:
* a professional trained in translating the science of food, nutrition and medical nutrition therapy to meet the needs of individual or target groups, whether in disease or health.
*He / she is equipped with the knowledge and skills to conduct nutritional assessment, prescribe medical nutrition therapy, provide dietary consultation for the treatment of diseases / illness, in both acute and chronic care.
* also play an important role in providing expertise in the promotion of wellness through proper eating, development of modified diets/ meals/recipes in the food service organization, catering industry and food manufacturing industry in various sectors.
* participate in research and apply practice, based on scientific – evidence.
* also involved in providing input for the formulation of policies, protocols, clinical practice guidelines, medical nutrition therapy guidelines, planning and implementation of programmes, to support the current healthcare needs of the population.
* He/she provide education and disseminate nutrition information through community activities, various modes of mass media like giving talks through radio, television, and writing in newsprint, professional articles for release in newspapers, journals, magazines, etc.
Types of dietitians
Clinical Dietitians, provide their services to inpatients and outpatients at hospitals or medical centres. Doctors refer patients to the dietitian for consultation on the nutritional modifications required for the treatment of the disease or condition for the critically ill or chronic diseases. Clinical dietitians conduct nutritional assessment, and prescribe the diet based on the anthropometry, biochemical, clinical diagnosis and dietary intake. Recommendation is made for the individual’s meal plan for a normal or therapeutic diet, to be administered either orally or via tube feeding. In certain cases, if tube feeding is not possible or unable to meet the nutritional requirements, parenteral nutrition will be required.
Business Dietitians encompass dietitians working in sectors whereby consultancy and professional advice is required in disseminating professional and accurate information about a particular product, consultancy or service.
The Business dietitian may work with other categories of dietitians, other organizations to network, share knowledge and experience, so as to help and meet the needs of the client. This may involved sectors like food manufacturing industry, food service industry, pharmaceutical industry and others.
Training, education and imparting professional information to the clients, whether healthcare professionals or the public are important to address the current healthcare needs. He/she may be expected to work closely with other local or international organizations and facilities.
Sources: Malaysian Dietetic Association (MDA) and Lecture note Introduction to Patient Care